Fact Check: Are Dems Using Tax Dollars To Fund College For Illegal Immigrants?
We all know that the American Left has a strange obsession with taking care of people who entered our country illegally. It doesn’t matter how often someone’s robbed or killed by a criminal who had no right to even be in the US; they keep banging on about “undocumented immigrants” and putting their interests above those of us who belong here.
So when an online news site claimed the Democrats had passed a bill that forces US taxpayers to pay college tuition for illegals, it’s hardly surprising a lot of people believed it. What’s the story here?
- At the end of January, a news site, Neon Nettle, posted an article titled “Democrats Pass Bill to Fund College for Illegal Immigrants with Taxpayer Money.” This quickly went viral and was widely repeated around the internet.
- What the article said, but the headline didn’t, was that the bill is a New York State bill, not a federal one. As the story spread around the internet, it slowly got garbled, and that detail was mostly left out.
- In fact, the story as published is true; Democrats in New York did pass a bill that gives illegal immigrants access to taxpayer-funded college tuition, even though they have no right to be in New York.
- The bill was introduced last year, after the Democrats won a majority of seats in the New York legislature. This is the first time in more than a decade New York has had a Dem governor and Dem majorities in both chambers of the state legislature, and they quickly jumped on the opportunity to start passing radical laws.
- It looks like state legislators picked up on a federal bill that’s been stuck in Congress for almost 20 years — the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act. Then they scaled it down to the state level, named it the “Jose Peralta New York State DREAM Act” and, thanks to their new majority, managed to ram it through the legislature.
- The bill gives any illegal who’s studied at a New York high school for two years, and graduated, the right to a state-funded scholarship. The same rights apply to illegals who would qualify for a scholarship if they had a right to be in the country.
- Governor Andrew Cuomo estimates this program will cost about $27 million a year, although, like most liberal spending estimates, that’s likely to be a huge underestimate. It also ignores the fact that the law will be a magnet for illegals — after all, who doesn’t want a free college education?
The way this story spread around the internet was misleading, in that it didn’t make clear the bill it only applied to New York. However, Democrats are trying to push this through the federal government as well — so there is a fair amount of truth in it.
Copyright 2019 – RightWing.org