Fact Check: Are the Democrats Right That Trump Wants War?
(RightWing.org) – Since President Trump ordered the elimination of General Qasem Soleimani, Democrats have charged that Trump is an assassin, a warmonger, he’s ignoring Congress and other wag-the-dog conspiracy theories in the span of only a few days.
On Twitter, Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) said in response to a Ted Cruz (R-TX) tweet,
We are outraged the president would assassinate a foreign official, possibly setting off another war without Congressional authorization and has zero plan to deal with the consequences.
But of course you know that. https://t.co/GzfdKilV4t
— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) January 3, 2020
Bernie Sanders said in remarks that “President Trump ordered the assassination of a top Iranian general.” Likewise, Warren also accused Trump of assassination:
Donald Trump ripped up an Iran nuclear deal that was working. He’s repeatedly escalated tensions. Now he’s assassinated a senior foreign military official. He’s been marching toward war with Iran since his first days in office—but the American people won’t stand for it.
— Elizabeth Warren (@ewarren) January 3, 2020
In another interview, Warren accused Trump of creating a distraction from the impeachment.
“Next week, the President of the United States could be facing an impeachment trial in the Senate. We know he’s deeply upset about that. And I think people are reasonably asking, why this moment? Why does he pick now to take this highly inflammatory, highly dangerous action that moves us closer to war?”
So, are Democrats right? Is Trump trying to get the United States into another war while also distracting from impeachment?
The problem is, Trump has virtually ignored Iran as they committed one hostile act after another.
Democrats claim that Trump had no justification for eliminating a major sponsor of terror who was planning attacks on US diplomats in Iraq and that he didn’t consult Congress. Yet, Obama committed 563 drone strikes killing nearly 807 civilians. Where were Democrats then? Why weren’t they demanding Obama get congressional approval?
If Trump were looking for a war with Iran, he has had plenty of opportunities. In the 2018 State of the Union Address, Trump vowed to end the endless wars in the Middle East. It was also a common refrain on the campaign trail in 2016.
The real question is — who is the real aggressor and who is trying to avoid a war?
- The Quds Force, trained and led by Soleimani, began killing American soldiers in Iraq after the 2003 war began. Soleimani was responsible for 603 US service members who were killed in Iraq.
- In May and June of 2019, Iran attacked six oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz. Nearly 30% of the world’s oil supply is shipped through the narrow channel.
- In June 2019, Iran shot down a US surveillance drone in international air space that cost over $100 million.
- In the same month, rockets were fired at Camp Cooke (17 miles north of Baghdad) and Balad airbase (located 40 miles north of Baghdad). Thankfully, no one was injured and there were no casualties.
- In July 2019, Iran seized the Stena Impero, a British oil tanker. The Iranians held the ship and its crew hostage for nearly three months.
- On December 27, 2019, Iran fired rocket attacks on US bases in Iraq, killing one American contractor and wounding four US troops.
- On December 31, 2019, Iranian backed militiamen with ties to Iran’s Quds Force attacked the US Embassy in Iraq for two days. The mob chanted “down, down USA,” “Death to America” and “Death to Israel.” Spray-painted graffiti that said, “Soleimani is our leader.”
- Secretary State Mike Pompeo said Soleimani is not just a general, he was the leader of a designated terror organization. Additionally, Pompeo said he was “actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region.” The Pentagon added the attack “was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans.”
Iran has been an aggressor for 18 years, and in 2019 did all it could to push America’s buttons. Until an American contractor was killed, Trump showed complete military constraint.
Perhaps Democrats need to evaluate the facts more closely?
By Don Purdum, Freelance Contributor
Copyright 2020, RightWing.org