Dems Attempt at Virtue Backfires
(RightWing.org) – Congressional Democrats put on a big display of solidarity with African-Americans on Monday, taking a socially-distanced knee in the Capitol while wearing colorful scarves in traditional African designs. Unfortunately for them, it seems they didn’t do enough research before making their grand gesture – and this is not exactly the first time a big Dem idea wasn’t properly thought out.
Democrats tried to show their support for the Black community Monday by wearing bold scarves in African print designs. The response wasn’t quite what they expected.
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) were among leading Dems who turned up at the Capitol wearing long, bright scarves in African patterns. They then “took a knee” for a photo opportunity to demonstrate support for the Black Lives Matter movement.
- Within hours, Twitter was on fire with angry denunciations – from African Americans, including authors, politicians and activists.
- It turns out that for all their woke concern with minority ethnic groups, the Dems don’t really know much about those groups – and a lot of what they do know, they don’t understand.
- There isn’t actually a single “African” identity. Eighty percent of human genetic diversity is in Africa. Well over a thousand languages are spoken on the continent. To put this in perspective, Europe has about 120.
- It turns out the designs the Dems were wearing aren’t “African” – they’re Ghanaian, specifically Kente designs from the Ashanti tribe. All these patterns have meanings to the people who make and wear them — they’re not just pretty colors.
- Many who commented on Twitter were angry at the Dems for wearing culturally significant designs as a fashion statement. Others pointed out that, because their African ancestry wasn’t Ghanaian, the designs didn’t represent them anyway.
- The display also fell right into one of the woke left’s favorite traps – cultural appropriation. Nigerian author Obianju Ekeocha posted an angry video telling Democrats to stop virtue signaling using another culture’s designs as a prop.
I had to say something about the American politicians shameless and ignorantly using the Kente fabric as a prop in their virtue signaling.
*I’m usually more mild mannered than this so please forgive me, I’m upset. pic.twitter.com/aZMjgsHujS
— Obianuju Ekeocha (@obianuju) June 8, 2020
- Awkwardly, it then emerged that the designs press another hot button – slavery. Slavery was a large part of traditional Ashanti culture, and the tribe was a major supplier to early European slave traders. Many Africans still find this offensive.
Frederick Joseph, a former national surrogate for Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) had a strong message for the Democrat leadership. Accusing them of dressing up “like they’re trying to sneak into Wakanda,” he called them disrespectful, appropriative and finished up by saying they have a great deal to learn.
Copyright 2020, RightWing.org