Ilhan Omar Impotent as Looters Burn Her District
(RightWing.org) – Far-left congresswoman Ilhan Omar (D-MN) is discovering that radical politics can have its downside, as violent mobs loot and burn their way across her district. The unrest began as a protest against the death of George Floyd on Monday night but has now morphed into widespread attacks on businesses and the police.
George Floyd, a 46-year-old African-American man, died on a Minneapolis street Monday night after being arrested on suspicion of using counterfeit money.
- The incident began when Floyd allegedly tried to pay a deli employee with a $20 bill, which the employee identified as fake. Staff called the police, who responded and asked Floyd to exit his vehicle.
- According to the Minneapolis Police Department, Floyd “physically resisted,” and subsequently died while being forcibly restrained by four officers. Eyewitnesses criticized the methods used by the officers, who have now all been fired from the department.
- The FBI has announced it’s reviewing the officers’ behavior and President Trump has promised justice for Floyd’s family, but many people aren’t satisfied. Protests began near the scene of his death Tuesday and quickly became violent.
- The initial violence Tuesday night was targeted at the city police, with buildings and vehicles damaged. However, by Wednesday it had turned into generalized disorder, and stores were being robbed and vandalized.
- By early Thursday, more than 30 Minneapolis businesses had been targeted, and one suspected looter had been shot dead by a store owner.
- Now Omar, whose take on the 9/11 atrocity was “some people did something,” is trying to stop some people doing something in her district. While tweeting inflammatory language, such as claiming Floyd was murdered by cops, she’s also appealing for peaceful protest.
I am heartbroken.
Horrified at the needless death of George Floyd, another innocent black man murdered by police in our community.
Frustrated that we keep finding ourselves in this position as a city.
Angry that justice still seems out of reach.
— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) May 28, 2020
- Omar also tweeted, “We should and must protest peacefully. But let us end the cycle of violence now.” She warned that violence tends to lead to more violence. Her main worry seems to be that rioters and looters could be hurt by the police – and she’s been conspicuously silent about the ongoing attacks on city law enforcement.
- Protests have now spread to Los Angeles and Memphis, TN, although so far there’s been no violence there. Perhaps that’s because local politics in those districts haven’t been radicalized by people like Omar and the rest of her so-called “Squad.”
Copyright 2020, RightWing.org.