Resurgent Left Threatens Chaos For Dems
(RightWing.org) – As America enters the home stretch for November’s general election, problems the Democratic Party thought were behind them are threatening to resurface and disrupt the last few months of their campaign. The party’s radical wing seemingly retreated after veteran socialist Senator Bernie Sanders (D-VT) suspended his campaign in early April. But now they’re back — and spoiling for a fight.
Moderate Democrat candidates are suddenly facing opposition as the party’s radical left surges back from its defeats earlier this year.
- Representative Eliot Engel (D-NY) is a long-serving congressman who currently represents New York’s 16th Congressional District. A centrist, pro-Israel Dem, he’s won solid majorities in three different New York districts and is currently in his 16th term as a congressman.
- However, now he’s facing a strong challenge from Jamaal Bowman, a teacher and social activist from Manhattan. Bowman was recruited by the Justice Democrats, a far-left political action committee (PAC) that’s boosted many “Progressives,” including all four members of the notorious “Squad” led by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY).
- Similarly, Rep. Amy McGrath (D-KY), who currently represents Kentucky’s 6th Congressional District, but is running for a Senate seat this year, is under threat from State Rep. Charles Booker.
- McGrath is a freshman congresswoman, who took office after a 20-year career as a USMC fighter pilot. McGrath was the first female Marine to fly a combat mission, racking up 89 missions against the Taliban and al-Qaeda.
- Now she hopes to face off against Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) in November – but she’s facing an unexpected challenge from within her own party. Booker, Kentucky’s youngest African-American lawmaker, has made a surprisingly strong run and poses a real threat to McGrath’s hopes.
- Both Booker and Bowman are getting financial support from Bernie Sanders, who seems to have come back from the failure of his own campaign to assist a slate of far-left candidates.
- As well as Sanders, several other figures on the Left are backing the challengers. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and AOC are also helping with fundraising.
The spate of left-wing challenges will be a big worry for the national Democratic Party, which was hoping that with the selection of Joe Biden as its presidential candidate the party could come together behind a moderate with appeal to the American mainstream. Now it seems the specter of the unelectable far-left is rising again.
Copyright 2020, RightWing.org