Secret Service Agents Wounded As Violence Erupts Near White House
(RightWing.org) – The violence that’s swept America following the death of George Floyd last Monday came within rock-throwing distance of the White House on Sunday. With more than a dozen Secret Service agents injured, and other federal agencies pressed into service to boost police numbers on the ground, the unrest is threatening the very heart of our nation.
Protests against the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police have turned violent in many places – including Washington, DC.
- Rioters took over Lafayette Park, only yards from the front lawn of the White House, late Sunday. They fought a series of running battles with police and Secret Service agents. Molotov cocktails and bottles were thrown, and the Secret Service say 14 agents were injured.
- The violence was so widespread that DC cops and the Secret Service ran out of manpower to cover every incident. To ease the pressure, US Marshals and DEA agents were deployed to the streets to thicken the blue line.
- DC Mayor Muriel Bowser requested 500 troops from the DC National Guard to support cops. Later on Sunday, she was overruled by the Secretary of the Army, who mobilized the entire 1,200-member force. The DC National Guard is centered around the 372nd Military Police Battalion.
- There’s been speculation the White House’s external lighting was turned off in the early hours of Monday as a result of the rioting. Some media reported that they were turned off to avoid interfering with Secret Service night vision equipment. However, the White House pointed out the lights are usually turned off at 11 p.m. unless there’s a specific reason for them to stay on.
- Rioters set fire to the parish house of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Lafayette Square, a historic 19th-century building. Fortunately, the fire was put out before the church itself was seriously damaged.
- The headquarters of the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations, the US’ largest union group, was also burned. Further arson attacks destroyed public restrooms and park maintenance offices.
- President Trump was present in the White House through the worst of Sunday’s violence, after returning from watching a space launch in Florida.
The media is reporting that agitators are placing caches of incendiaries around DC in preparation for more riots. With George Floyd’s killer already under arrest, and the president promising justice will be done, it’s hard to see what can be done to placate the protesters and the rioters who’ve latched on to them. What’s certain is that this violence can’t be allowed to continue.
Copyright 2020, RightWing.org